Thursday, May 19, 2011

R.I.P Old Pal

Dear Ikea,

What are you doing? How could you discontinue the LACK bookshelf. Style lovers from around the globe who search for a great price, and a great product are upset with you right now. Please tell me this is an error. Please tell me that the sales associate, and his computer were wrong. I had plans. Big plans for a WHITE LACK. I hurt. Bad.

Best----- Tamara

But guys if this is indeed right, I urge you to run to Ikea and get while the getting is good, and even at a discounted price from the regular $130 ( I think). My store was totally out of the large last weekend. I don’t know how late or early “my news” is.rip

Remember I have one of these. My desk sits right in front of my LACK, and once it finally arrived it made the room come together 100%. It has since been updated a bit. But its still fabulous to me.

DSC_0967

I picked up the small one below on LAST CHANCE for $39. I think the regular price was $79. I have so many spaces that call for the LACK Bookshelf, so I have no clue what I am going to do. The LACK was to even go next to my friends office desk in her home. The clean lines, and lack of holes makes this piece one that I will truly miss.

 

last

The bench below is a DIY using the small LACK. Simply add some legs, or even rollers to the base and you have a great bench, or spot for your T.V. & books.

Picture-1bhg.gif

I believe one of the replacements is called the BESTA system. There is no open back. The small is $80, and the larger one is $150. Much more than the LACK which has an open back.

BESTÃ… Shelf unit white Width: 23 5/8 " Depth: 15 3/4 " Height: 75 5/8 " Max load/shelf: 66 lb  Width: 60 cm Depth: 40 cm Height: 192 cm Max load/shelf: 30 kg

BESTÃ… Shelf unit white Width: 47 1/4 " Depth: 15 3/4 " Height: 75 5/8 " Max load/shelf: 66 lb  Width: 120 cm Depth: 40 cm Height: 192 cm Max load/shelf: 30 kg

Have you seen this activity going on at Ikea, or am I late? What’s next on your list since the LACK is officially gone buy bye?

 

High Fives & Hugs,

Tamara Styles

 images: bench, bench2, lack

20 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ohhh I have a Lack right now in my apartment!! How sad they are dicontinuing it because I love that DIY! Bummer!

Melanie's Randomness

Angela said...

That's it! I'm moving to a city with an Ikea and a Home Goods.... right now. I love this bookshelf and really feel deprived of the whole Ikea movement.

Your office is beautiful!

Brixton Nole said...

Oh no! I was just at Ikea yesterday and I had no idea the Lack shelves were discontinued. I did however have a convo with a sales associate in kitchens who informed me that the butcher block countertops are no longer available due to some issue with the manufacturer...what am I supposed to use for my budget friendly kitchen renovation? This madness MUST STOP!

Beau lifestyle said...

Hi Babe, you are so right! I had to buy a lack for a client of mine and I was soooo shocked that such a popular item is dicontinued!!!
Why???
luv Chantal from Beau Lifestyle

Diamonds Pearls and Crazy in the world of Barbie Jones said...

daaaayyyuummmm for real?! Right when Id decided to get one? O M G i better see if they're on sale then and go ahead and pick mines up I wanted two for my office!

Kim - Commander-in-Chic said...

#1- thanks for the heads up! I'm hitting ikea toooonite!
#2- u rock!
#3- u are one of the first blogs I fell in love with and truly made me feel like having a voice in blogland may be possible for me. U have inspired and motivated me and I appreciate the genuine spirit and sincerity that show thru in your posts
The end.

Dominique W. said...

I just love those! Wish I could get my hands on them though.

http://dominiquew1985.blogspot.com/
http://senblogofdw.blogspot.com/

Kara said...

I hope that's not true. :(

Unknown said...

WOW! I have the black LACK in my kids room for their bookshelf. I have not been in a while but I have to get the $39 self. Oh, I have some pictures of some things I imitated from your blog as it relates to home decorating. I am going to post them Sunday & link your blog address so everyone can know where I got the idea's from.

Sing of Singature Style said...

That's crazy! I know it's a best seller, including the small Lack tables. I'm an Expedit fan though. They also can be laid upright or down for the same effect if you are into cubbies.

Certifiably Resourceful said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was headed out this weekend to get 3 of the small and possible a few others to finally finish my office loft. =-(

TheProDiva said...

This is soooooo unfortunate! The Lack is a really great shelf...why are they doing this!

jamie said...

i love ur blog and i know how resourceful you are...what about making one yourself? the style seems simple enough.

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

I kinda like the new one better. You can build a whole library with it. However for those looking for a simple bookshelf that was it. I think if they ever discontinued the Expedit bookcase, their would be riots everywhere.

Jazz said...

*Tear* Love me some IKEA

Kwana said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's a bummer when faves are discontinued.

David said...

I'm with you. Can't believe they are discontinuing it. I wouldn't surprise me if at some point they brought it back by popular demand.

David said...

Can't believe it either. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point they brought it back by popular demand.

Joi said...

Bummer! Those are great shelves!

Queen of Preen said...

WOW! I LOVE YOUR BEAUTIFUL BLOG!
I am glad to have discovered you today.

Great content! Thanks for sharing your creativity.

I am surprised they discontinued the shelving too. West Elm has something similar--obviously it's a bit more pricey though.

Cheers,
Ashlee
www.queenofpreen.com
www.menwhopreen.com